21 July 2014
What Type Of Removal Van Do You Need
What Type Of Removal Van Do You Need
When you’re looking to hire a removal van for a home or office move it can be hard to know what size and type is suitable for you. Some good van hire firms may be able to give you an idea based on the size of your home or office, but if you’re looking online it can be hard to decipher, especially when you add in the complication of driving licence types and what you’re allowed to drive. So if you’re not sure, take note of the below pointers before you finalise the hire. Firstly, you need to know what sorts of van you can legally drive before you decide whether you can hire a removal van yourself or if you need a moving company to organise and drive it for you. If you have a driving licence that was issued prior to 1st January 1997, or a driving licence with a C1 category, then you should be able to legally drive a moving lorry which holds up to 7.5 tonnes when full. If you have a driving licence which was issued after January 1997 then you will need to sit an extra test to be able to drive vehicles of this size. As a result, most van hire vehicles are smaller than this and hold up to 3.5 tonnes in weight. These removal vans can generally be driven by anyone who has a full driving licence, though many companies stipulate that drivers must be at least 21 years of age for insurance purposes. Before you hire a van it is always useful to check out the latest regulations on the government website to ensure that you know exactly where you stand.Now you know what you can drive, it is useful to have an idea as to how much you can fit into common sized moving vans.•    Small Moving Van (less than 3.5 tonnes) –Students or those living in furnished rental accommodation may find this sort of vehicle perfect for a move. It is big enough for moving boxes of books, clothes and small items with ease but it is not suitable for moving large items of furniture.•    Medium Moving Van (3.5-5 tonnes) – Medium sized vans rea ideal for one to two bedroom flats or houses where there is an average amount of furniture to be moved. Remember that if you have a full driving licence you will probably be able to drive a smaller 3.5 tonne van by yourself to save on costs. •    Large Moving Van (7.5 tonnes) – Generally suitable for large 3-4 bedroom houses. Remember if you have an older driving licence you may be able to drive a 7.5 tonne van by yourself, without the added cost of a hiring a removal driver.If you are going to hire a moving van for a do it yourself move then remember to take extra care when loading the vehicle to avoid any unnecessary transit damage or insurance claims. Also, set some time aside to familiarise yourself with the removal van before you set out so that you know exactly where everything is: driving an unfamiliar car can be stressful at times, let alone an unfamiliar van! It also helps to plan your route before you go so that you can avoid any speed bumps, winding lanes or traffic hotspots where possible. This can not only improve your moving time but also the safety of your treasured items.

More posts

What we do: